I thought our discussion today in class was interesting. We were learning about finances but we integrated that into the family systems theory. We discussed different ways that finances can affect all the members in the family. One part of the discussion that I really liked was when we were talking about ways that parents can involve their children in finances. I think that there comes a time when parents need to show their children where the money goes because I don't think children understand all the different expenses that come with living. I remember that growing up I didn't eve know what my parents were paying for all of my brothers missions. That is a huge expense and I knew nothing about it! So rather than simply telling children that we don't have money maybe show them that we pay the house bill, the car bill, insurance, food, medical, utilities, retirement, etc. Then they can see that money is coming in but by the time you pay for all the things you eat and the nice place you live then you have to budget and decide together where you want to spend your money.
I believe that this helps children so that they don't just resent that they parents don't have money but that they will be grateful for all the things their parents do for them. Even though some parents might have enough money to cover all these expenses and way more I still think it is important to show children where the money is going and all the things that you pay toward so they don't think that money just comes easily. They will see that it takes hard work.
I also liked today that Brother Williams pointed out that budgeting and finances allows married couples to sit down together to work out and make decisions. Without money being involved these skills wouldn't be learned. It is a great opportunity to learn to work together. I had never thought of it this way. Often I am overwhelmed by budgeting and finances and I don't look forward to talking about it, but now that I have a slightly different perspective about it maybe that can change. I love learning to work together with my husband and to learn to communicate effectively and I think learning to manage money is one way that we can do that together.
No comments:
Post a Comment