Gender and the different roles that men and women have is a very interesting topic. This week we have questioned typical behaviors of men and women and where those come from. First I want to say that I was interested in these topics before I was married but now that I am married this topics are crucial to understand in a marriage.
The first reason why I believe it is crucial to understand the other gender, why they do what they do, and what their roles are is because without that understanding you will not understand the reason for most of the arguements and issues that rise in marriage. I believe that sometimes we think that our spouses are bad or difficult or someone we can't work with anymore simply because we are having issues understanding where they are coming from because it is foreign to us.
For example I marriaged my best friend of seven years. I knew everything about him and he knew everything about me. We had been best friends so long and then fell in love that transitioning into marriage just seemed like the next step. After we were married though I realized that there were a lot of things that he did or said that I couldn't understand. I have dated a lot of dumb guys in the past so as I was pondering this I realized that the things I just couldn't understand weren't because he was a bad guy but simply because he was a guy. I have lived with my best girl friend for three years at college so it was difficult changing to living with my husband. He didn't do the things she would and he didn't pick up on my cues like my best friend used to. I had learned to work together with my best friend in cleaning and making meals and doing homework and once I was married I had to learn that all over again. It was just interesting to me because sometimes I expected my husband to do the things my best friend used to but then I remembered that my marriage was totally different. I learned and am still learning to transition to living with a man and ti figure out the way he did things so I could understand our relationship better.
Second, I believe that it is so important to understand the roles that each of us have and especially in our marriage. Once I got married I thought it was funny how quickly the roles for both of us became apparent. It was immediete, but the roles fit and it felt right the things that both of us were doing. As I noticed this I recognized a thoughtful and loving Heavenly Father whose plan is divine and who has given us divine roles to fill. It is part of His plan and those roles are glorious that He gave us. They are not useless and despised as the world often portrays them. I am grateful to be apart of such a plan because it feels so right and I am grateful that I get to be apart of something so great.
No comments:
Post a Comment