Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Divorce and stepfamlies

Today in particular I really began to understand how difficult it can be to blend families. There are so many obstacles to overcome with our own personal feelings, friends, families, the kids. There are so many things to consider and to work through. I really appreciated our guest speaker today and the insights that she shared with us. Brother Williams played a song by Brad Paisley about a boy and his single mother getting married again. He described what his father was for him and that he didn't have to be half of what he was. Then he goes on to say that he hopes he can be half the father that his father was to him. This song was incredibly powerful to me because there are so many challenges to overcome when blending families and then to be able to move past that into so much more is so amazing.

My sister is in a blended family right now and I look at her husband and hope that my sisters kids will be able to say that to him one day. Their biological father probably never should have been a father which has been so hard to see them deal with. I appreciate the man my sister married and that he tries to be a good father to them. It is so great to see families overcoming the obstacles that can often break a new family apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment